2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup chopped rhubarb
2 cups milk
1 large egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large banana, sliced
Optional crumble topping:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 8 x 8 inch baking dish with and place on a baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, cinnamon, salt, strawberries, and rhubarb.
3. In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract. Then, pour over oats and fruit. Gently shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
5. If you want to add the optional crumble topping, mix all those ingredients in a small bowl and use your hands to mush everything together into a crumbly consistency. I like to add the crumble topping with 10-15 minutes left of bake time but you can add it now, too!
4. Bake oatmeal for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the milk mixture has set. If you want your top to get nice and crispy, turn on the broiler at the end for like 30 seconds!
Serve hot! I like to reheat the leftovers in a pan on the stove the next day.